The fire would continue smoldering for weeks if we did not stop it,
and it could start a bigger fire a month or more later if the weather
turned dry and winds fanned it back to life.
The 7th was clear and warm with a forecast of high winds at night,
so we spread out ashes and shovelled snow onto the hot spots.
we checked it daily for a while to make sure it was out.
There will be dense needles and small branches to dig up this Summer and
burn in the Fall.